PDA

View Full Version : 1964 389 rebuild kanter dished pistons

grimmy
03-13-13, 05:36 PM
Hello, i am new to forums so please excuse the inexperience. I have 64 catalina with original 389 that I wanted to do a stock (low cost) engine rebuild on. I'm a little worried about compression and since I have a cracked piston and need to change them I thought I might get dished pistons. The only engine rebuild kit I could find with dished pistons is from Kanter. They cant seem to tell me what the cc of the dish is so I want to see if you guys have some input on my calculations. I did find out verbally from manufacterer(packard industries) that they have a .2 inch depth by 2 37/64 diameter dish (they are supposed to emulate the low compression 389 that was available in the early 60's). Here are my calculations:

cubic inches(CI) : 1.044066 CC : 17.109

using standard bore and stroke, .023 deck height (stock), .042 gasket

9.02 : 1 compression 7.02:1 dynamic compression

If I use there flat top piston with valve reliefs( I think the valve reliefs are 6.5 cc)
than I get with compression calculator

10:1 compression 7.74:1 dynamic compression

Is 9.02 :1 to low for decent street performance with the rest of the stock components ?
Im thinking put a little better cam in (ie comp cam xe262)
It has 2 barrel right now. might try and find stock 4 barrel setup

Any comments greatly Appreciated !!

poncho1961
03-14-13, 06:31 AM
It all depends on what you want from it when your done. 9 to 1 will run on any gas. you'll lose power from the 10 to 1, but take away the risk of detination. A different cam may help restore some of that, but be careful of the one you choose, as some need that extra compression. The 262 should be fine with the lower comp tho.

You'll need a 61-64 intake for that block I believe, when you go 4 barrel shopping. Any other and you'll wind up with mismatched exhaust crossover and some bolt hole issues at the front and rear of the intake. Those 61-64 intakes pop up on evil bay all the time. For some flash and performance potential, you could look for a tri power. Still decent cruising mileage on the center two barrel with the power potential when the outboards are opened up. Those intakes pop up quite often on evilbay too. You'll either pay a large amount if the carbs are still with it, or you'll have to convert some regular 2 barrels to work as the end carbs. Conversion kits available from a few vendors and on evilbay as well.

grimmy
03-14-13, 03:43 PM
thanks for the info. I've been looking at edelbrock ep4b (early Pontiac) . I prefer a stock 4- brl manifold but I need to find one local to NJ because they are so heavy. I'm having a tough time deciding between the dished or flat top pistons. Flat tops are cheaper and may give a little more power but im nervous about detonation