cam problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cam problems

I am in the process of a cam swap in my 73 prix and pulled the stock 066 cam out and took off the cam retainer and filings came out. I pulled out the cam and 3 of the bearings were badley flaked. Ever seen this before? I pulled the motor to go through it now. I have mixed reviews of using the Summit 2801 cam and not changing the stock valve train. Do you have to change the the stock rocker studs? thanks

Yup, I've seen flaked cam bearings a number of times. Sounds like you got that under control, tear down engine and clean it out and refresh. I had the same thoughts you did about the Summit cam on my last cam change. I ended up going with the Melling SPC-8, but that was on my 455. If you have a 400 that may be too much cam if you have less than 10-1 compression.
    If you still think you can turn the steering wheel - you're not going fast enough

What Would Bubba Do?

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I already had the valves ground and new springs also using poly locks. I have performer intake that is a spread bore and had the carb rebuilt and a new hei. Now I am waiting on the machine shop t meassure the crank and cylinders.

Comment

I am now in the process of rebuilding the short block. Boring 30 over reconditioning the rods with arp bolts. I do not have the money for a stroker, but the 400 completely rebuilt with the 2801 cam dual plane intake headers and rebuilt q-jet should be enough for a weekend cruise. I rebuilt the trans last fall and 3.08 posi. I think that this combo will work good.

Comment

what are the specs of that cam?
          72 Luxury Lemans nicely equipped!

Comment

Originally posted by indymanjoe View Post
            what are the specs of that cam?
            214 intake 224 ex 446 intake lift and I think 456 ex lift

Comment

I had a similar cam in a low compression 400,real fun car to drive.Not a fast car but burned the rubber off at will.Enjoy it!
              72 Luxury Lemans nicely equipped!

Comment

Why can't I ever find any deals on Pontiac motors?
                I ran into an olds engine this week...was rebuilt years ago but the owner ruined the cam install.
                How do you actually break a cam anyhow?
                Bought this for $150...check out the broken pin thrown from this cam...dented the timing cover..no proof though..just the sellers word.

msokdv.jpg

35an1c7.jpg

Comment

That pin is supposed to be tight. must have been loose and wobbled around till it came out.
                  '65 Goat

Comment

Working...
                  X