Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are all A body Chassis' The same

Hi Me again Dane form OZ,
    I am wanting to convert the dodgy 1960's/70's Right Han Drive conversion over to a RHD Power steering Rack.
    We have a Mob/company here called Retro rack that sell a Chevelle Bolt in RHD rack system and I was wondering if the suspension and steering Geometry between the 68/72 Chevelle and GTO are same/similar.

If so the only problem I can see is the Ponti Block a wider wider V than the Chev.
    I could get around this with Uni joints etc.

I look forward to some input as I am lost and the current steering conversion is extremely dodgy by todays standards all they did is take the left hand drive steering box and mount it on the right hand side with a big bracket welded to the chassis to hold it.

This thing has to handle as Allpontiac are throwing together a pump Gas 600hp engine for her,
    When I get a bit further along and am convinced I am rebuilding and not still dismantling her I will atart a project thread.
    So far there is no firewall and I am stitching in a better RHD converted 68 Lemans Firewall this car is a massive job.

As stated earlier any help would be great thanks and I have used this site as a reference for other issues as alot of the cars are modified and not built back to stock.
    Cheers Dane.

For the most part I think all A body suspension stuff is interchangeable within year groupings. Typically for you, 68-72 stuff interchanges I think. I'm not at home where my Hollanders are, so maybe Don can verify if he's near his. If not and my memory works tonight, I look it up. I know aftermarket a arms, steering box etc is usually listed as 68-72 A body, chevelle, cutlass, skylark, Tempest Lemans etc.
    I'm the Rick in prick.

Comment

Some A arms use a different shaped bushing in the lower arm from brand to brand with Pontiacs having either an oval or round bushing installed, but the frame doesnt care which shape the arm has in it. If you check out Performance Suspension Technology, I think their site lists same part numbers for a lot of the different brand A bodies.
      I'm the Rick in prick.

Comment

some F-bodys are lucky to share some front end parts as well..
        72 Luxury Lemans nicely equipped!

Comment

67-68 Fbodys I believe use same spindles etc as A bods
          I'm the Rick in prick.

Comment

Originally posted by poncho1961 View Post
            67-68 Fbodys I believe use same spindles etc as A bods
            Those are rear steer! A body's are front steer.
            '65 Goat

Comment

Steering arms bolt on tho, correct? I think spindles are same, steering arms are different?? Maybe just flopped side to side?? If your home, check your hollander. I pretty sure when I was doing a disk brake swap on a 67 A bod, the list of donor vehicles was 1st gen F bods, 67-72 A bods, 71-74 X bods, etc. That steering arm was shipped loose on the kit I ended up buying from Master Power, and they pointed out that the spindles differed between the drum and disk set-ups due to bolt length for those arms and mounting pad area I think.
              I'm the Rick in prick.

Comment

Memory is a bit fuzzy. Imagine that. Maybe the difference was the pad for the caliper bracket bolts.
                I'm the Rick in prick.

Comment

OK, popped a GM parts book into the cd drive. Spindles were the same part number for the 67-69 F and A body with disk brake, 3966151, same as the 70-72 A body. So I would think by using the correct steering knuckle, he'd be fine. For whatever reason the GM book didn't show the knuckle part number for the early F, so I'm not sure if its same but flopped side to side or not.
                  I'm the Rick in prick.

Comment

The steering knuckle was the same part number for 67-70 A and 69-70 G body. X body knuckle was different and probably closer to the early F body that isn't listed. Different part LH/RH, but no difference listed for drum versus disk.
                    I'm the Rick in prick.

Comment

OK here goes something.

Spindle & Knuckle interchange

Buick 65 Spec. Drum
                      Firebird '67-'69 Drum
                      Olds F85 '67-'69 Drum
                      Olds F85 '70-72 Drum without O.A.I. what ever that is
                      Pontiac Grand Prix Drum
                      Pontiac Lemans '72 Drum
                      Tempest '67-'71 Drum

Part number 407017