69 Window fix

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 69 Window fix

So after an hour of trying and prying to get the window crank off, I couldn't push the door panel back enough to get a wire curved tool Mike made in behind the crank to pop the spring and hook out. So I tried a curved dental tool and got it. Of course I damaged the plastic washer prying the damn thing with a screwdriver so that's shot. So once the door panel was off I found out it's not the little rollers that are the problem, but instead a tiny plastic riveted grommet that's sheared in half. There's one at each end of the regulator, and I hope I can just get replacement parts instead of having to buy a new regulator because it's $90 for a replacement. So heading out to "that Pontiac parts place" LOLOL to see what I need Here's some pictures. I also hope I don't have to take that whole door apart to get that regulator fixed. That would be a real pain in the ass.
    Attached Files
    ~Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes~

sigpic

1969 Firebird 400 Convertible, 1969 Firebird Coupe

Your headed to Ames, good deal. They are a fine bunch of people over there

1972 LeMans W/Endura Front End & 461 CID

Comment

I'm guessing it's the little cotton reel rollers that have gone. Better get ready fir that new regulator as those things are usually not sold separately.

Sent from my nerdphone just to piss Gordy off

Comment

And for the future, get yourself a window crank/door handle removal tool. Save yourself time and chance to gouge up something with a screwdriver.
        - Chris -
        We're in Canada now. What are they gunna do, kick us out? - Mac while in Michigan
        1959 Pontiac Custom Star Chief
        389ci w/ '60 SD Tri Power/200-4R/3.42 Limited Slip

Comment

Yeah!! They had the parts I needed so no new regulator needed. I see a door handle removal tool in my future.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by starchief1959 View Post
            And for the future, get yourself a window crank/door handle removal tool. Save yourself time and chance to gouge up something with a screwdriver.
            I saw a episode on Horsepower show on spike. Take a wrag and work it around the handle and pull one end and the clip comes off and is caught in the wrag. I haven't tried it yet.
            '65 Goat

Comment

I've seen that before. It does kind of work, but only when the ends of the clip stand out far enough from the base of the crank/door handle. Like on Pinky, the clips don't protrude from the base so the rag just slips around it. That's how I ended up with the tool.

I would think some door panels don't flex enough to get enough rag in their either to make it work but who knows.
              - Chris -
              We're in Canada now. What are they gunna do, kick us out? - Mac while in Michigan

Comment

Originally posted by mrpontiac65 View Post
                I saw a episode on Horsepower show on spike. Take a wrag and work it around the handle and pull one end and the clip comes off and is caught in the wrag. I haven't tried it yet.
                The problem was the door panel was so tight, you couldn't get a space to even get a wire behind the back of the crank without prying on it. So I did take a piece of cardboard and stick it in the small space I had between the door panel and inside the tiny space then used the flat screwdriver and pryed against the cardboard so I wouldn't damage the door panel. Well it's off now to try and get the regulator out to put the new rollers on. That's going to be fun, I'll let Mike tackle that job lol.

sigpic

Comment

Get that tool Com mentioned it'll make your world easy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
                  HARDCORE for the Cause!!!! Detroit Charter President!

Comment

Where do you get a tool like that?

sigpic

Comment

Any auto parts store will have them. Usually in the self help section by their window cranks.
                      - Chris -

Comment

Here's a link to summit. Not saying buy it there, but it shows what it looks like.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rn...FckWMgodV3wA6A
                        I'm the Rick in prick.

Comment

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
                          Attached Files
                          HARDCORE for the Cause!!!! Detroit Charter President!

Comment

Its really thin
                            HF has them too

Originally posted by poncho1961
                            And your right Joisey.
                            Joe '76 Trans Am

Comment

Originally posted by Trentonmakes View Post
                              Its really thin
                              HF has them too
                              I was wondering if HF had them. I will get one Summit's price is good, I just looked it up in my parts catalog and it was $6.00.

Thanks all for your help.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X