Fuel pump

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel pump

Hey guys I need recommendation on a new fuel pump (i'm running a stock one on a 1967 v8 400) I just bought a new main fuel line... The engine is currently in a 1972 lemans body...

I haven't went back and checked your previous posts so I'll answer your question with questions and answers.
    Highly modified engine? If not, stick with a stock mechanical pump. If its modified heavily and needs more fuel, then look at a high flow mechanical. You don't need a ton of pressure if its carbed. You're only trying to make 4-7 pounds or so. Any more will push the needle off the seat and flood the float bowls. You could run electric, but you'll want to explore return lines if your car doesn't already have it. They're noisier than an engine driven mechanical and you'd want to rubber isolate it from the frame so it doesn't transmit that noise, unless you're already running loud exhaust and won't hear it anyway. LOL Electric needs to be mounted near the tank, preferably lower so gas can gravity feed the pump. You'll need a good filter installed back there too.

Boils down to if that stocker is feeding the engine now, no need to change it out.

Carter, Holley, I don't think it matters much brand name wise. You'll hear good and bad about both. Hell, if they're still available through your parts store or Rock Auto, just order whatever they stock. They're not that much $ anyway.
    I'm the Rick in prick.

Comment

I still run a Holley mechanical. Not wasting time or money on electrical until I go efi. No point. Electric pumps work best in tank. Outside of tank, they become problematic. Most electric pumps are pushers, not pullers. Therefore, they have to be in tank or really close to the tank to work properly. Mechanical pumps are so much easier to work with on a carberated street engine.
      So basically, what Pops is saying above is that he agrees with me on my many Fuel Pump rants that are on this forum, and that's what's really important here.

yours truly,
      The Lord of Hardcore
      -Mike

This is not something you buy. It's Something you Build!

Comment

Ive had a Holley Blue electric on my bird thru many motors in a step up in performance every time. Pump is mounted next to tank with no return line. Regulator set at 6 pounds 15-20 years in servive with a Large Fram filter. Yes rubber mounted but I like hearing pump turn ON! Just another perspective.
        Borderline Genius-Idiot

Comment

That Fram filter is a ticking Time Bomb, Bill. It could explode at any minute.
          -Mike

Comment

The fram refill filter? I have one on a shelf with a new wix replacement filter. It probably sit there forever

1972 LeMans W/Endura Front End & 461 CID

Comment

Well maybe I'll but it in a concrete box in case it explodes

Comment

There are better options for fuel filters these days than those old paper filters. Better flow and better filtering. Not sure that's really important on a Carb engine, but its nice to have the extra insurance.

yours truly,
                The Lord of Hardcore
                -Mike

Comment

Stock I say. Or heard DB say. Always.
                  Mac

69 Firebird

Comment

Originally posted by GratefulDiver View Post
                    The fram refill filter? I have one on a shelf with a new wix replacement filter. It probably sit there forever
                    Yes!!! I like changing the filter every year. EASY
                    Borderline Genius-Idiot

Comment

I'll send you the filter

Comment

T will get that to you in a couple months, Bill.
                        -Mike

Comment

Kool !!!! I'll have my tranny in by then??? Maybe ????????? LOL
                          Borderline Genius-Idiot

Comment

LENCO? Is that what your putting in?
                            '65 Goat

Comment

Working...
                            X