No announcement yet.

Need Advice for Painting Subframe of 1972 Firebird Formula 400

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Med gloss powdercoating does look nice on a subframe.

- Christopher - They call me Devil Beard

Hoarder of various 2nd gen Trans Ams and Firebirds/ 73-77

Comment

You going to get the new body mount repair washers (welded in)to get this body mount hole back to original size before painting?
      Attached Files
      Last edited by mrpontiac65; 08-26-11, 12:08 PM. Reason: forgot picture
      '65 Goat

Comment

POR 15 can be brushed painted and it smooths out (no paint brush marks) but need to be top coated with chassis paint to keep it from oxidizing. POR 15 has a kit that you can use from start to finish.
        '65 Goat

Comment

Rustoleum comes in a spray can, and all you do is spray it on. Not to mention the fact that you have a lot of money left over for the things you can actually see.
          -Mike

This is not something you buy. It's Something you Build!

Comment

por 15 here, been on there for 10 years and looks great. Easy to touch up with brush, yet no brush marks and no over spray

1972 LeMans W/Endura Front End & 461 CID

Comment

Rustoleum rocks!

Rollin Mobile
              Mac

69 Firebird

Comment

I hate rustoleum paint. The only thing I use that's rustoleum brand is their rusty metal primer.

Sent from my nerd phone Bitches!
                HARDCORE for the Cause!!!! Detroit Charter President!

Comment

Don't be a hater, Chuck.
                  -Mike

Comment

BTW, The only paint going to stick to, and stay stuck to, that oil based rusty metal primer is oil based Rustoleum. LOL!
                    -Mike

Comment

Originally posted by poncho1961 View Post
                      On one hand I read this and wonder/wander what end result are you looking for. Are you looking to restore to factory like appearance or just new clean looking? Eastwood is close to factory, but then, the factory never welded all the frame seams. It boils down to what you want it to look like now. Por products are tough but expensive. Eastwoods look nice but are just paint. Powder coating is tough but probably more than the Por to do correctly, although prices have dropped a bit recently. Rustoleum is another option used by a few here, myself included on some projects. Again, it all depends on what your looking for in the end.
                      I am looking for a tough coating that not only looks semi-factory and clean, but will keep moisture out and wont crack. I hear powder coating is fragile....or am I wrong about that? Anyway, I want to do it right so I dont have to do it again.

Comment

Already did it. These are pictures before I welded the seams and installed the new body mount washers

Comment

Hate may be a strong word

Sent from my nerd phone Bitches!
                          HARDCORE for the Cause!!!! Detroit Charter President!

Comment

Strong enough coating for what? Seems like the guys here who use POR 15 are the ones who don't drive their cars, and the ones who painted theirs do drive theirs. On gravel roads even. Lol. Kinda makes ya wonder, huh. Lol
                            -Mike

Comment

i like chassis saver myself...tough,chip resistant and fairly priced.
                              72 Luxury Lemans nicely equipped!

Comment

Mine's all rustoleum. Cleaned, degreased, primed, and painted semi-gloss black.
                                - Chris -
                                We're in Canada now. What are they gunna do, kick us out? - Mac while in Michigan
                                1959 Pontiac Custom Star Chief
                                389ci w/ '60 SD Tri Power/200-4R/3.42 Limited Slip

Comment

Working...
                                X