Need Advice for Painting Subframe of 1972 Firebird Formula 400

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Advice for Painting Subframe of 1972 Firebird Formula 400

Sooooo, after a complete tear down, my first order of business was to restore the subframe. After sanding it down, I fillet welded in the seam along the box channel (not included in pics), and smoothed out all of the rough edges. Now she sits pretty in bare metal, curvaceous, waiting for some fresh paint. However, I caqnnot find any specs on the OEM paint for the chassis/subframe. Anyone know this info? Otherwise, I may go with Eastwood's Chassis Black Satin. Thoughts?

Thanks!!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Phoenix1972; 08-24-11, 08:03 PM. Reason: more specific

Powdercoating looks nice on a subframe, if you want to pay for it. Otherwise I use POR 15, I've never used any Eastwood products yet.
    - Christopher - They call me Devil Beard

Hoarder of various 2nd gen Trans Ams and Firebirds/ 73-77

Comment

That's all the factory used was a semi gloss black. It was just a universal chassis paint that they use to this day. BTW the frame looks good!

Sent from my nerd phone Bitches!
      HARDCORE for the Cause!!!! Detroit Charter President!

Comment

POR 15 is great shit but its dam expensive! I just paid 54 bucks for a quart.

Comment

BTW POR 15 is a coating not a paint. And it is a dam good product. I was just pissed because they pried that much money outta my hand.

Comment

You want to spend a lot of money on POR, buy it in the spray can at $20 a pop. Lays out nice that way though.

Comment

Not sure what is considered expensive... Guy up here charges 100 bux for a frame, yes I have found some flaws

Comment

Originally posted by Scruffy View Post
                Not sure what is considered expensive... Guy up here charges 100 bux for a frame, yes I have found some flaws
                You mean for power coat?

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck View Post
                  You mean for power coat?

Yup, lol, powdercoat

Comment

Originally posted by Scruffy View Post
                    I did mine for free,and got paid to do it on top of that at my old PT job. Wish I stil worked there, since I got lots more shit to powdercoat, and get paid to do it.

Comment

On one hand I read this and wonder/wander what end result are you looking for. Are you looking to restore to factory like appearance or just new clean looking? Eastwood is close to factory, but then, the factory never welded all the frame seams. It boils down to what you want it to look like now. Por products are tough but expensive. Eastwoods look nice but are just paint. Powder coating is tough but probably more than the Por to do correctly, although prices have dropped a bit recently. Rustoleum is another option used by a few here, myself included on some projects. Again, it all depends on what your looking for in the end.
                      I'm the Rick in prick.

Comment

Most paint manufacturers sell semi gloss, satin, flat and chassis blacks. POR15 is a waste of money for a car that isn't going to be driven much. Same for powder coating. Unless you plan on parking it in a swamp. LOL! It's like putting a helmet on a kid who is just going to sit on the couch and play video games.
                        -Mike

This is not something you buy. It's Something you Build!

Comment

I used POR on my chassis but if i did it again it would be powder coated

Comment

Your car is also a piece of art that'll hang on the wall and never be driven once it's finished.
                            - Chris -
                            We're in Canada now. What are they gunna do, kick us out? - Mac while in Michigan
                            1959 Pontiac Custom Star Chief
                            389ci w/ '60 SD Tri Power/200-4R/3.42 Limited Slip

Comment

lol so its mine. I would'nt drive it over here anyways some asshole would damage it, people dont give a shit over here if you have something nice

Comment

Working...
                              X