Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Painting a car in 2 part Urethane after sitting in primer?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting a car in 2 part Urethane after sitting in primer?

Any additional prep work needed on a car primed then siting for a year before final painting?
    Another wet sanding?
    Thanks guys.

Yes wet sand with 800 and allow to fully dry. Next wipe it down with wax and grease remover.
    sigpic
    1967 326 firebird
    http://airefxairbrush.webstarts.com/
    Keep your hands outta my pocket and yer nose outta my business and we'll get along just fine

Comment

800? Why? I never go beyond 400 on primer. You start losing bite then.
      -Mike

This is not something you buy. It's Something you Build!

Comment

Ive always used 800 over old primer it gives plenty of tooth. At most ive used a red scotch bright. Seems 400 would leave too much scratch to fill.
        sigpic
        1967 326 firebird
        Keep your hands outta my pocket and yer nose outta my business and we'll get along just fine

Comment

Usually there's a recommendation on the product data sheets. Ya, that would mean reading but it's uaually there. lol
          - Chris -
          We're in Canada now. What are they gunna do, kick us out? - Mac while in Michigan
          1959 Pontiac Custom Star Chief
          389ci w/ '60 SD Tri Power/200-4R/3.42 Limited Slip

Comment

Over airbrush paint, but not automoive paint. Your primer will start to shine at 800. Properly mixed auto paint will fill any smoothly sanded 400. You want that extra bite, especially around the edges where chips are always going to be an issue.
            -Mike

Comment

The PPG Deltron product sheet for the paint I've been using says use 400-600.
              - Chris -
              We're in Canada now. What are they gunna do, kick us out? - Mac while in Michigan

Comment

Just seems like a lot of extra unnecessary work. To go to 800 grit, you also have to do 600 grit, because 800 won't remove 400 scratches. If you do make that jump skipping the 600, you're obviously covering up those 400 scratches anyway with the paint, so what's the point of going to 800? I'm sure the paint will adhere, but it's not going to make your paint any smoother, nor is it going to knock down any high spots, so it just seems like a lot of wasted energy to me.
                -Mike

Comment

I was under the assumption he just needed tooth to paint an already blocked car. Not to start with 400 and go to 800 just scuff it with 800. I see where a 400 upto a 600 is recommended. I just figure that if it is already blocked and flat a 400 could remove to much and leave vallies.
                  sigpic
                  1967 326 firebird

Comment

If it's already blocked and true, you won't notice any valleys by sanding with 400/600. You'll go through the primer before that point. lol

The 400/600 will hold much better than the 800 with the basecoat, I would just go with the spec sheet and be done with it.

Or for mike's ego, just agree with him.
                    - Chris -

Comment

I've always used 400 wet on primer. Matter of fact I just did last summer. You'd be there forever and use a ton of paper using 800.

Sent from my nerd phone bitches!
                      HARDCORE for the Cause!!!! Detroit Charter President!

Comment

I'm not sure what type of primer is on the car as I bought it already smooth and prepped.
                        I want to get it painted as soon as the weather breaks.
                        Thanks guys.

Comment

What's up Chuck? Trans Am looks good! I used a two part ureathane a few years ago and it worked out nice. I laid on four coats and rubbed probaly one or so off and got a nice shine out of it. Not sure if you plan on that (rubbing) but 400 on the primer would be fine if you lay it on nice to cover your scratches if you end up with any that is.
                          one action can change your life forever.

the ones that have fought for our freedom and gave the ulimate sacrafice will be rembered!

Comment

The body is smooth as heck...I'd hate to rough it back up...too bad I bought it in November.
                            I'm lazy...Don't think I'll be sanding any coats...not looking for a show car..just want a decent finish to drive around in.
                            My last paint job turned out well....three coats of color and clear and the finish has held up great.

14ijuye.jpg

Comment

hit it with red scotchbrite pad and shoot it. it will be fine. don't over think it.
                              TIN INDIAN - OR DANCES WITH BEER IN HAND

Comment

Working...
                              X