No announcement yet.

Colors of Bondo

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If your gonna go that far might as well rework any filler you find just to make sure it's not so thick. Plus side is you said they sealed it good as it's been exposed to the elements and yet no rust under the paint and the filler was on metal. Just smoothing out the sanding scratches they missed, if it pleases you, would prolly do pretty good in my opinion.
    Mac

69 Firebird

Comment

Anyone ever use the USC All Metal filler. It was used in the quarter replacement in the HPP article, particularly over the welds.
      Joey

If your Pontiac was like your report card, would you want an "A" or an "F"?

Comment

I used it 20+ years ago, worked just fine. cost a bit more but easier to work than glass yet better with high humidity and rust areas than is polyester. Plus you can say your car is 'all metal' lol
        Mac

69 Firebird

Comment

Originally posted by gallup View Post
          some might also be different types such as 'all metal' and fiberglass body filler too. Hard as hell.
          did you see the quotes?
          Mac

69 Firebird

Comment

I might try it on my welds and seams. The ad's say you can drill and tap it if necessary, and safer than lead. Sounds like JB Weld.
            Joey

Comment

did you see the quotes?
              duh!
              Joey

Comment

Poly is easiest cause it sands easiest, metal is harder and this has metal in it. I used it on an entire 67 tempest, and liked it too. I also tried to get my body work to where I needed as little filler as possible. Seams you say? Did you watch Mikes videos? He pretty much butt welds everything, no flanging so seams are pretty much just weld seams.
                Mac

69 Firebird

Comment

Poly is easiest cause it sands easiest, metal is harder and this has metal in it. I used it on an entire 67 tempest, and liked it too. I also tried to get my body work to where I needed as little filler as possible. Seams you say? Did you watch Mikes videos? He pretty much butt welds everything, no flanging so seams are pretty much just weld seams.
                  Yeah, I am trying my best to rework the metal, but it is inevitable I will need SOME filler. It looks like the quarter has been replaced before, and it was a real shit job. About a 3 inch lap with crappy spot welds, and it had about 1/2 in filler at the seam. I have thought about taking a thin cut off wheel at the seam, bringing the metal flat and butt welding. I do have some butt clamps. I think I am going to try to pull it out first and see if I can get it near flat. If not, then I will just cut it and reweld it. Need to get this done before I continue with the lower patch.
                  Joey

Comment

you can do it, butt weld will work. I've read your thread and you are meticulous enough to do it and well.
                    Mac

69 Firebird

Comment

Working...
                    X