Colors of Bondo

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colors of Bondo

While sanding down the rear quarter, I noticed 3, maybe 4 different colors of body filler. It was very thick in places, the thick stuff being a blue color. Also had some pink, yellow, and maybe some brown. I am not sure that the brown is actually filler, or maybe filler discolored by rust since it was all the way against the metal, and the car was underwater. I don't really see rust in those areas. Maybe primer? I know that the filler usually gets it's color from the catalyst. Any significance to the colors?
    Joey

If your Pontiac was like your report card, would you want an "A" or an "F"?

Not really, just different brands. This is the side of my 55 and its a mix of fillers lol my buddy had it in his shop and as he was filling cars in the week he would use the excess up on my car so when i came in on a saturday i had a side to block lol the only down side was that the filler from monday was rock hard on saturday
    Attached Files

Comment

some might also be different types such as 'all metal' and fiberglass body filler too. Hard as hell.
      Mac

69 Firebird

Comment

Filler colors will change by the amount of hardener used in each batch. That's how you can see layers. It's not ideal, but it's why you'll see different shades of brown/tan, or blue or green, depending on the filler used. If you see primer or paint under the filler, take the shit off and redo it. That's a ****ing hack job. If you see primer between the layers, same thing. Hack job. Layers are good. Much better than one big thick ass glob. You may also be seeing some Spot Putty, wwhich is basically just thick primer. The way your filler work was done is most important. So take care to make the right decision at this point. I have a video or two on proper filler work in the video section.
        -Mike

This is not something you buy. It's Something you Build!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. HARDCORE View Post
          Filler colors will change by the amount of hardener used in each batch. That's how you can see layers. It's not ideal, but it's why you'll see different shades of brown/tan, or blue or green, depending on the filler used. If you see primer or paint under the filler, take the shit off and redo it. That's a ****ing hack job. If you see primer between the layers, same thing. Hack job. Layers are good. Much better than one big thick ass glob. You may also be seeing some Spot Putty, wwhich is basically just thick primer. The way your filler work was done is most important. So take care to make the right decision at this point. I have a video or two on proper filler work in the video section.
          From what I am seeing underneath, the whole repair is a hack job. I have some pictures that I am going to post on my build thread showing the gaps that were filled in, some 1/2" thick, or more. Luckily, since the car is dis-assembled, I have access to try to fix these problems with a minimum of filler, but I will have to use some. I will be sure to watch your vids. I have to say that the brown stuff does worry me. It doesn't sand away easily, it gums up the discs.
          Joey

Comment

That's probably filler with too much hardener in it... or not enough. Or filler that is cheap and deteriorating. I'm just guessing since I can't see it.
            -Mike

Comment

Here are some photos of the different colors of filler, how thick it was, and the mysterious brown stuff.
              Attached Files
              Joey

Comment

looks like a base of fiberglass to me...
                72 Luxury Lemans nicely equipped!

Comment

Yep. Could be. I see they replaced that skin with shitty spot welds or something, huh. They should have butt welded it and made it smooth. A lot less filler would have been needed.
                  -Mike

Comment

Detroit bodywork right there.

Sent from my LG Nerd phone muh fukkas
                    - Christopher - They call me Devil Beard

Hoarder of various 2nd gen Trans Ams and Firebirds/ 73-77

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. HARDCORE View Post
                      Yep. Could be. I see they replaced that skin with shitty spot welds or something, huh. They should have butt welded it and made it smooth. A lot less filler would have been needed.
                      The whole repair is shitty. Material is lapped about 4 inches, spot welds are lousy, the worst part is the contour. The seam is about 1/2 to 3/4 below when I put a straight edge across. I just can't afford to replace the entire quarter, so I will just have to work with this. At least the lower quarter will be new. I think I can pull it out to a reasonable contour, without putting 3/4" of filler.
                      Joey

Comment

Originally posted by indymanjoe View Post
                        looks like a base of fiberglass to me...
                        I saw some do this in south TX where the salt air seemed to mess you up if you didn't paint as soon as you were done. Then to do as Mike says you had to strip it off again to fill another layer. Ospho was used commonly too which would convert rust to primer. It was used on all bare metal needed or not as a precaution. Glass based filler has never gummed up though as it is hard as rock and hell to sand.
                        Mac

69 Firebird

Comment

All of the brown stuff that I found on the rear quarter appeared to be against the metal, but I did find a spot around the tail light that is certainly on top of some filler. There does not appear to be anything weird going on because the base metal under it looks OK and the paint over it looks OK also. Some of the body and paint still looks OK, inside and out. I didn't want to and have not planned to strip the entire body, so I guess the question is, do you think I need to worry about this brown stuff if I leave it on? I think it is just applied in spots, but I don't know how extensive.
                          Joey

Comment

Your call. If metal is good and it's not too thick or cracking on good looking panels and your not doing whole car. I'd say don't worry bout it.

Rollin Mobile
                            Mac

69 Firebird

Comment

Honestly, the only REAL surprise I have found, so far, is how thick the filler is in places. You know, if you give a shit, you just don't do stuff like that. Only a half-assed attempt was made to pull the dents before filling them with bondo. I will end up using some filler, but I am going to make every attempt to smooth the metal as good as I can beforehand. The paintjob on the car was a 10 foot paint job. It looked good at 10 feet, but real close you could see scratches from sanding the filler. It apparently wasn't wet sanded very well, so the plan has always been to scuff and paint the entire car the same color. I guess where I can, I will just leave well enough alone. I do plan to closely look at the chronic problem areas around the front and rear windshields. Thanks for the advice.
                              Joey

Comment

Working...
                              X