Oil Can Removal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Can Removal

I have a small oil can on my rear quarter, probably resulting from my trying to hammer out the many dents. If I heat it up with a small acetylene torch and then quench it with a wet rag, will that be sufficient to shrink it out?
    Joey

If your Pontiac was like your report card, would you want an "A" or an "F"?

That is a technique that takes a lot of practice, and if done wrong, can result in major warpage. Unless you're really good at that, I'd go a different route.
    -Mike

This is not something you buy. It's Something you Build!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. HARDCORE View Post
      That is a technique that takes a lot of practice, and if done wrong, can result in major warpage. Unless you're really good at that, I'd go a different route.
      Thanks, Mike. If I was good at it, I wouldn't have to ask. LOL I do have a lot of practice material, but I am not going to take a chance on the car. My only reason for asking is that I have seen it done on TV, but they always make it look so easy. I have also seen it done using a flapper disc to heat the material, but that just seems crazy. It is not a real big spot, and I want to learn all that I can. I might try on my scrap material since I have an endless supply. I will post the results. Thanks again.
      Joey

If your Pontiac was like your report card, would you want an "A" or an "F"?

Comment

You can use a grinder or any heat generating tool. But controlling heat and metal are just not the easiest thing. Too much or too little of anything will cause more problems than it's worth.
        -Mike

Comment

I've had some good luck using a real concentrated flame and heating an area about the size of a dime, then quenching it as you described. Don't fan out the hot spot too large. Keep it in a small spot and do multiple places within the oil can. One spot at a time of course, quench it before doing another.

I've also seen a device thats not a flap disk, but rather a disk made of stainless steel. It doesn't remove any material and heats the area by friction. Guy makes it look super easy in his video, but I'll bet he has Scruffy years of practice to get it down like that.
          I'm the Rick in prick.

Comment

Doesn't heating it and quenching it fast make that spot more brittle than the surrounding metal?
            1973 LeMans Safari - 400ci/TH400
            1959 Bonneville Coupe- 455ci(Buick)/TH400

If you say "Gullible" slowly, it sounds like "Oranges".

Comment

work hardening is what i thought...
              72 Luxury Lemans nicely equipped!

Comment

You're not getting it that hot

..... sent from my rotary cell phone
                -Mike

Comment

lol yeah or the metal around it would be like a ruffles tater chip, well more gradually but something like rough seas...
                  Mac

69 Firebird

Comment

heatgun and a can of compressed air.
                    sigpic
                    1967 326 firebird
                    http://airefxairbrush.webstarts.com/
                    Keep your hands outta my pocket and yer nose outta my business and we'll get along just fine

Comment

Working...
                    X