Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sealer Color Under a Matador Red for my 69 Firebird???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sealer Color Under a Matador Red for my 69 Firebird???

What primer/Sealer color do we use under a 1969 Matador Red?

I figure white will lighten it up but what do you guys use? I like the nice deep red and not the pinkish hue to it and not on the maroon side either. Pics below. White convertible is my color of choice. The others are too pink or maroon.

Ideas before I spray a test panel? I will spray one but it would be nice to narrow things down.

Pic of the car would be great.

Thanks,

SAM
    Attached Files
    1969 Firebird Convertible, 350

It doesn't matter. Your sealer has no effect on the color of your basecoat.
    -Mike

This is not something you buy. It's Something you Build!

Comment

Why not? I was told by my PPG Jobber that the Reds don't cover well. Similar to yellows. I put white sealer below yellow vs a black sealer there is a distinct difference.

SAM

Comment

yup i agree with mike, unless your using some cheap ass paint its not going to matter, my car is turquoise an white and half the car was sealed red and the other half white yet there is no colour change in the either of the final colours. My car was painted with PPG single stage high solid

Comment

Originally posted by off2wildblue View Post
          Why not? I was told by my PPG Jobber that the Reds don't cover well. Similar to yellows. I put white sealer below yellow vs a black sealer there is a distinct difference.

SAM
          Your PPG jobber is an idiot. Unless it's a candy, it doesn't matter. By the time you get to the 3rd coat, your paint will be the color it should be. The reason for using a lighter sealer is to see how well you're painting and covering the entire part, not to change color of the paint. It's tough to see if you got it all if you're painting red on red.
          -Mike

Comment

I am going to use the Deltron DBC base and may go with the Vibrance VC5200 Clear from PPG. I need to research the clear but have heard good things about it.

SAM

Comment

Go with your basic off yellow or light grey sealer. I'm not a fan of PPG, so I don't know their stock colors. But the basic factory stocked sealer will be fine.
              -Mike

Comment

ppg makes a red sealer. if you are concerned about the end result, try it.
                TIN INDIAN - OR DANCES WITH BEER IN HAND

Comment

Re: Sealer Color Under a Matador Red for my 69 Firebird???

I like the 1k dupont dark sealer for reds and dark blues.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

If you're concerned about the end result, stay away from PPG.
                    -Mike

Comment

X2. Also Martin Sr. Epoxy with reducer work well to

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
                      Attached Files

Comment

PPG is all I use and have no problems with it. 3 good coats will cover any sealer. Its all in what youre used to using. Ive tried nason and in my experience with it I have always had adhesion problems. Now having said that I also apply and remove a lot of masking for the art I put on shit. So nasons ubc may be great for just a plain base coating and clear. The polyeaster primer after blocking is a very light grey. I use it for everything from a base coat clear to tri coat and 4coat colors. Meaning candies and prismatic paints and dyes.
                        sigpic
                        1967 326 firebird
                        http://airefxairbrush.webstarts.com/
                        Keep your hands outta my pocket and yer nose outta my business and we'll get along just fine

Comment

Working...
                        X