Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the best way to remove paint from plastic?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for agreeing with me Bill. I've always had good luck with steel wool on chromed surfaces.

Sent from my nerdphone, just to piss you off!!
    - Christopher - They call me Devil Beard

Hoarder of various 2nd gen Trans Ams and Firebirds/ 73-77

Comment

Never had a problem repainting the plastic after the easy off or superclean/purple powering. Soap and water wash and good to go. Yeah, I know, model cars aren't real cars, but I used real paint on real plastic. LOL Problem with doing it this way is removal of all paint. Its not very controlable. But then, I'm thinking sanding would be just as unforgiving.

Only time I've ever used brake fluid to remove paint, besides the accidental spills, I wasn't concerned with the repaint. Mainly because it wasn't my car and I wanted it to be a pain in the ass to repaint.

No, I'm not advocating vandalism. Teenage boys do some pretty assinine stuff that they think is justified.
      I'm the Rick in prick.

Comment

Purple power test take one......

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
        HARDCORE for the Cause!!!! Detroit Charter President!

Comment

Purple power test......... Failure!

Comment

Did it remove anything? Remove too much? I usually left my plastic soak for 2 or 3 days, so if nothing yet, may need a bit longer.
            I'm the Rick in prick.

Comment

It removed the dirt off the paint nicely.

Comment

Whats the next test?

Originally posted by poncho1961

And your right Joisey.
                Joe '76 Trans Am

Comment

Not sure yet I'll have to look and see what I have laying around.

Comment

Purple Power? The soap? Lol

yours truly,
                    The Lord of Hardcore
                    -Mike

This is not something you buy. It's Something you Build!

Comment

Id try non-acetone nail polizh remove with steel wool

Test on a small area or one of the other sets you have

Originally posted by poncho1961

And your right Joisey.
                      Joe '76 Trans Am

Comment

You know that part that's painted gold was usually painter silver or black from the factory, right Chunk? The chrome plating itself is usually pretty poor quality on top of that, and usually starts to lift on those front edges. Personally I would clean the painted surface, paint to desired color, then use steel wool to shine up that front lip, maybe a little Mothers polish on that lip afterwards to help against oxidization.

Comment

No part of the gold area is Grey plastic. The part that's painted black is the bars in the grill. Otherwise it's all casted in Grey plastic.

Comment

Some of you are kinda missing the point. I've always sanded them down and painted them. Using scotch Brite pads or something. The point of this thread was to see if there really was a way to remove paint from plastic that didn't harm the plastic.

Comment

Are you specifying with chrome or without chrome?

Comment

Have you tried the oven cleaner idea? Don't let the wife see you doing tho. She'll expect you to clean the oven. LOL

Honestly, I've never tried my methods on a urethane based paint. But I have used it to remove enamel and laquer based paint. Not sure what it was painted with, but I cleaned up a lot of the trim in my 93 that was painted red over the as cast gray pieces. Some ****ing idiot sprayed every piece he could remove from the dash, and some he couldn't. (passenger side air bag), trim pieces off the doors, speaker grills, etc. Between the super clean and the easy off, I was back to factory gray without damaging any of it. I didn't use it on the air bag tho. Its still red.
                                I'm the Rick in prick.

Comment

Working...
                                X