Por-15?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Por-15?

I was looking at maybe using por for my floors, innner panels, etc. instead of normal laquer primer and a flat black enamel, like usual. I've never used it, I've heard and I believe someone on here siad they hated it, don't rember the reason though. Just wondering if anyone has used it and how it flows, and looks after it's dried. I know it dries hard as shit though, not sure if I like that idea. My project will be an everyday driver to a point, I wont race to the garage if it's raining but I will hopefully not take it out mudding either..
    one action can change your life forever.

the ones that have fought for our freedom and gave the ulimate sacrafice will be rembered!

You can brush it on the the brush streaks disappear. It will get hazy and oxidize if its in the sun light.They have a pattern to follow,Marine clean then phosphate coating then POR15.Once you open a can put wax paper under lid before you close it as you will never get it open if any paint is in the grove and will dry out if there's any air in can on top of paint. Buy small cans for less waste. Check their web site for more info.I used it on a pair of inner fenders of my '77 Ford LTD II. They have been painted regular black over the POR 15 and dirty now but this was 13 years ago or so.
    Attached Files
    '65 Goat

Comment

I've used it on the inside of fenders and under my cars. One small can covers a very big area when you paint it on with a brush. popcorn]
      - Christopher - They call me Devil Beard

Hoarder of various 2nd gen Trans Ams and Firebirds/ 73-77

Comment

Good call on the lid don. I have a can in the garage the lid is welded on lmao. I know it's got sone left in it as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by mrpontiac65 View Post
          You can brush it on the the brush streaks disappear. It will get hazy and oxidize if its in the sun light.They have a pattern to follow,Marine clean then phosphate coating then POR15.Once you open a can put wax paper under lid before you close it as you will never get it open if any paint is in the grove and will dry out if there's any air in can on top of paint. Buy small cans for less waste. Check their web site for more info.I used it on a pair of inner fenders of my '77 Ford LTD II. They have been painted regular black over the POR 15 and dirty now but this was 13 years ago or so.
          Huh, por-15 has been around that long? Man, I'm old..lol

the ones that have fought for our freedom and gave the ulimate sacrafice will be rembered!

Comment

I've used POR-15. says on can "not to shake", stir gently. pour out onto another container what you'll use, don't pour left over back in can. dries very hard. they say you can apply over rusty metal. I usually apply over sandblasted metal. not everybody has a sandblaster, but I think it's the best surface for a product like POR-15. Chassis Saver is the same thing, a little cheaper , seems a little watered down compared to POR-15. just a tip- before putting lid back on pour a dab of mineral spirit of enamel reducer in can, creates a barrier- air activates POR-15, the thinner will help it last longer, also before putting lid back on , put a piece of plastic between can and lid. makes it easier to get lid off.

Comment

Here's there web sitehttp://www.por15.com/
              '65 Goat

Comment

Wear gloves too.
                sigpic
                1967 326 firebird
                http://airefxairbrush.webstarts.com/
                Keep your hands outta my pocket and yer nose outta my business and we'll get along just fine

Comment

Originally posted by freebird67 View Post
                  Wear gloves too.
                  It comes off after about a week

You can spray it as well with a little reducer but Id use a cheap gun. If it will be exposed to sunlight just use the top coat after the base. Its a quality product, over priced but good

1972 LeMans W/Endura Front End & 461 CID

Comment

at athe shop we used to use the nitrogen/co2 gas blanket from the welder and put a 10 second hit of it in the can before we sealed it up ( cracked the knob on the tank so a small bit of it flows softly out the bottle not spraying paint everywhere ,we use a hose to guide it into the can ) , it never hardened ,and always wipe out that damn lip with there solvent before sealing . ( got to try the wax paper bit .) I have a 5 year old can of gray thats permanately sealed that I have to cut open and transfer to another can ....[frustrated]

Comment

I let my son help brush some on and He wore gloves but some how he wiped his nose with out thinking.
                      sigpic
                      1967 326 firebird
                      http://airefxairbrush.webstarts.com/
                      Keep your hands outta my pocket and yer nose outta my business and we'll get along just fine

Comment

Hmm... sounds like Herculiner without the chunky bits.
                        1973 LeMans Safari - 400ci/TH400
                        1959 Bonneville Coupe- 455ci(Buick)/TH400

If you say "Gullible" slowly, it sounds like "Oranges".

Comment

Originally posted by freebird67 View Post
                          I let my son help brush some on and He wore gloves but some how he wiped his nose with out thinking.
                          sounds like something one of mine would do..lol...how did you get it off him, thinner?..ouch!

Comment

I think I'm just going to por-15 the back of the new panels like the rear inner wheel wells, inner trunk, and the floor pan. I really don't like the idea of how hard the crap gets but I do want it to be protected.. Reminds me of spray on bed liner, which I know a few people have used that but no thanks. I'm going to paint the tops of the inner fenders, inside the engine compartment, I don't really want to put por on them, then I'm stuck with that look after it dries.

Comment

I sprayed my wheel well with it along with the frame and under body. It looks good to me

As for what to remove it with once its on your skin, I prefer time in a bottle. Works great and is really cheap

1972 LeMans W/Endura Front End & 461 CID

Comment

Working...
                              X