Stripping paint?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stripping paint?

Just a question about stripping paint. It's time to start my body work on the 69' Bird. I have just a rocker panel to get spilced in and I will be done with Body shops services. As for the car, it has two paint jobs on it, a factory tan color and a green re-paint. I tested some stripping methods on the original junk deck lid. I used a DA with 120 grit and then did a spot with aircraft stripper. I found the aircraft stripper was easier to work with than the DA. My plan is aircraft strip, neutralize with water, sand down any body filler/refill, sand and then use a sealing primer one body panel at a time. Is there any reason I should not use the chemical stripping method or to change my plan?

A tip for thick paint is take a hacksaw blade and drag it sideways to scratch up the paint. It'll allow the stripper to penetrate under the paint quicker.

Sent from my nerd phone bitches!
    HARDCORE for the Cause!!!! Detroit Charter President!

Comment

Thanks for the tip Chuck.

Comment

No prob! Post some pics of your progress as you go.

Sent from my nerd phone bitches!
        HARDCORE for the Cause!!!! Detroit Charter President!

Comment

will do

Comment

Another trick I heard that works is when you apply the Aircraft Stripper do it in square patches, then apply a plastic sheet on top of the square. This is supposed to cut off the air drying out the stripper and the stripper actually "boils" under the plastic. You then remove the sheet and the old paint comes off fast and easy down to the bare metal.
            Guaranteed To Out-perform.

Comment

The plastic trick is the easiest. You don't want to forget about it, because that plastic will become part of your paint if it dries. LOL! It's the same principle as removing old window tint with ammonia. Your paint will pretty much just wipe off. Thicker plastic work better. Something like a quality trash bag, or plastic drop cloth.
              -Mike

This is not something you buy. It's Something you Build!

Comment

Originally posted by 71' Formula 461 View Post
                Just a question about stripping paint. It's time to start my body work on the 69' Bird. I have just a rocker panel to get spilced in and I will be done with Body shops services. As for the car, it has two paint jobs on it, a factory tan color and a green re-paint. I tested some stripping methods on the original junk deck lid. I used a DA with 120 grit and then did a spot with aircraft stripper. I found the aircraft stripper was easier to work with than the DA. My plan is aircraft strip, neutralize with water, sand down any body filler/refill, sand and then use a sealing primer one body panel at a time. Is there any reason I should not use the chemical stripping method or to change my plan?
                We used air craft stripper on my 69 when we did it. Easy and very effective.
                ~Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes~

sigpic

1969 Firebird 400 Convertible, 1969 Firebird Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by FiredUp6975 View Post
                  We used air craft stripper on my 69 when we did it. Easy and very effective.
                  I had a look at your firebirds...they are beautiful. I hope the paint on my 65 GTO will be as nice. After you stripped it to bare metal did you prep the metal before spraying on primer?

Comment

Here are some primer pics, we spot primed it after we stripped it here at home, then 3 days later it went to a shop to be primed and painted and the quarters hung. The guy who painted the car did use some kind of primer prep sorry I don't know exactly what. Sorry these pics are small I didn't have a good camera 9 years ago, but the last pic is of the car just last week and the car still looks fantastic. It's a national show winner. The primer at the shop the guy used was a a two step primer with a filler? I think he sanded, primed sanded again primed then sprayed the color, then buffed/compounded it all out.
                    Attached Files

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by FiredUp6975 View Post
                      Here are some primer pics, we spot primed it after we stripped it here at home, then 3 days later it went to a shop to be primed and painted and the quarters hung. The guy who painted the car did use some kind of primer prep sorry I don't know exactly what. Sorry these pics are small I didn't have a good camera 9 years ago, but the last pic is of the car just last week and the car still looks fantastic. It's a national show winner. The primer at the shop the guy used was a a two step primer with a filler? I think he sanded, primed sanded again primed then sprayed the color, then buffed/compounded it all out.
                      Thanks for the information and the pictures look awesome!!! I have to ask...did you have a donor car to reassemble it or were you girls smart and carefully dismantled the car and labelled every nut and bolt?

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Pontiac SD View Post
                        Thanks for the information and the pictures look awesome!!! I have to ask...did you have a donor car to reassemble it or were you girls smart and carefully dismantled the car and labelled every nut and bolt?
                        We dismantled the entire car and every nut and bolt put in zip lock bags. Body panels stored in my dining room. We had a dolly to move the body around.
                        Attached Files

sigpic

Comment

Re: Stripping paint?

I see a few nuts and bolts that you missed.

posted with love,
                          Lord of Hardcore
                          -Mike

This is not something you buy. It's Something you Build!

Comment

Re: Stripping paint?

Epoxy primer
                            Sounds/Looks like they used epoxy primer

Sent From My Fancy Little Thinking Box
                            Joe '76 Trans Am

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. HARDCORE View Post
                              I see a few nuts and bolts that you missed.

posted with love,
                              Lord of Hardcore

Well I didn't take pics of all that stuff. LOL Once the shell got to the paint guy he took the quarters off and bagged the rest.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X