Epoxy glue for floor pans?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epoxy glue for floor pans?

During my travels this week,I was advised to try some epoxy adhesive for attaching my floor panels?
    You guys ever heard or used such a thing?
    The guy I was talking to swears by the product,and says it will not come apart,and seals just as good as a weld,but its easier and safer to use.

Epoxy glue for floor pans?

Most modern cars are now glued together. Audi and VW glue front quarters on amongst other panels. The lotus Elise is all glued no welds at all so it's a possibility it would work. From memory most commercial airliners are glued as well

Sent from my nerdphone just to piss Gordy off

EDIT

Im guessing he is probably using something like this but its not really used in structural panels by the looks of the data sheet

http://3mcollision.com/products/fill...ive-08116.html

Comment

Re: Epoxy glue for floor pans?

I've seen a quarter glued on and it worked I just haven't been brave enough to try it. Besides I like to weld

Sent from my nerd phone Bitches!!!!
      HARDCORE for the Cause!!!! Detroit Charter President!

Comment

I've been waiting a year for my buddy to make time to weld some floors.
        Time to try a different attack or I'll never get finished.
        Looks like a great how to opportunity with lots of photos.

Comment

Originally posted by 454Lemans View Post
          I've been waiting a year for my buddy to make time to weld some floors.
          Time to try a different attack or I'll never get finished.
          Looks like a great how to opportunity with lots of photos.
          A cheap welder pays for itself quickly. It don't have to be high end your just welding sheet metal.

Comment

The big reason I wouldn't glue panels is on new cars they are engineered from the start for glued panels. Where an older isn't. There's a lot of body flex in a older uni body.

Comment

I like doing the welding myself too, and you can find used welders cheap on craigslist.

From a Remote Destination....
              - Christopher - They call me Devil Beard

Hoarder of various 2nd gen Trans Ams and Firebirds/ 73-77

Comment

Glue? This is a joke, right? The fiberglass door skins on a 2002 TA are glued on and notorious for coming apart. I sure as hell wouldn't glue metal. Especially a part that holds your entire structure together. That's just stupid.
                -Mike

This is not something you buy. It's Something you Build!

Comment

This thread reminds me of that Krazy Glue commercial with the guy in the hard hat glued to the steel beam.

-Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. HARDCORE View Post
                    Glue? This is a joke, right? The fiberglass door skins on a 2002 TA are glued on and notorious for coming apart. I sure as hell wouldn't glue metal. Especially a part that holds your entire structure together. That's just stupid.
                    Having seen the lotus chassis test where the weld failed but glue didn't i see no issue if the correct glue is used, as already stated modern airliners are glued together but its all about the glue. Now would i use it mixing it myself in my shop and applying it in uncontrolled conditions to metal of questionable condition or preparation for a structural component no but then again if the panels are welded badly the same condition could arise.

As for the TA panels coming apart its a GM when was the last time GM actually built a quality car?

Check the video in the link

http://www.henkelna.com/industrial/l...2944-16009.htm

Thats a 20% increase so when you see modern car chassis being bonded you can see the reason

Comment

This is America, Brit. We don't build cars that are driven 2 times a year. Gluing panels is stupid. Next!
                      -Mike

Comment

When I built school busses back I th the '80's we riveted the panels and glued them on. When the body's went thru the furnace to dry the paint it hardend the glue.Yellow sticky stuff.
                        '65 Goat

Comment

Later, some of the kids riding the bus picked at the glue and ate it. But thats another story. LOL
                          I'm the Rick in prick.

Comment

It was rock hard and you couldn't get to it to pick at it anyway.
                            '65 Goat

Comment

You obviously underestimate kids today. LOL
                              I'm the Rick in prick.

Comment

Working...
                              X