clock problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clock problems

I noticed the clock in the gauge cluster is not working does anyone have any ideas?
    1971 Formula 455 HO

Buy a watch. LOL

Pretty common. I think there's a company out there that has replacement clocks. They look stock except they are quartz or something like that so the hands move differently than the original.
    I'm the Rick in prick.

Comment

Re: clock problems

Yes what Rick said. Is it hooked up? The film circuit on the back of the cluster are know to go to shit. I had my oil pressure gauge stop working and it was the contacts on the film.

Sent from my nerd phone Bitches!!!!
      HARDCORE for the Cause!!!! Detroit Charter President!

Comment

yeah I had mine, rebuilt with the quartz about 10 years ago and its been out of the car for that long.
        1971 Formula 455 HO

Comment

clock problems

Those film type pcb can be repaired using heated screen repair. It's just a conductive paint. You can also find the same stuff at digikey in a pen. You will need to clean the track area and then paint across it to complete the circuit

Edit

This is the pen for repairing the film PCB

http://www.mgchemicals.com/products/...uctive-8420-p/

Comment

any ideas how I can test the clock out. The printed circuit does not appear to look bad. also how can I check out the printed circuit?
            1971 Formula 455 HO

Comment

clock problems

Originally posted by 71455HO View Post
              any ideas how I can test the clock out. The printed circuit does not appear to look bad. also how can I check out the printed circuit?
              You should be able to check there are no breaks or shorts in the board with a voltmeter set to continuity

Comment

I would think the clock should have 2 terminals connected to the circuit board. Applying 12 volt power directly to the ends of those terminals would operate the clock if it was good. It would be wise to determine tho which was + and which was - before you hooked up to them. Not sure if damage would occur with reverse polarity on the clock, but no sense chancing it. Or maybe reversing time IS that simple. LOL
                I'm the Rick in prick.

Comment

Success...After taking it out of the dash again. I was looking at it and I noticed that there was corrosion on the back post of the clock. I took the nut off cleaned it, and now it works fine. Thanks guys for all your input.
                  1971 Formula 455 HO

Comment

Originally posted by 71455HO View Post
                    Success...After taking it out of the dash again. I was looking at it and I noticed that there was corrosion on the back post of the clock. I took the nut off cleaned it, and now it works fine. Thanks guys for all your input.
                    Dang I was going to say to check for corrosion my clock in my 69 Bird had the same problem. Good luck with it. We had to take it out one more time after we fixed it the first time. I guess moisture got in from somewhere.
                    ~Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes~

sigpic

1969 Firebird 400 Convertible, 1969 Firebird Coupe

Comment

Good to hear. tic tic tic.
                      I'm the Rick in prick.

Comment

My clock runs very slow between 8am and 430pm,then it flys till the next day at 8am....
                        72 Luxury Lemans nicely equipped!

Comment

Working...
                        X