63 Bonneville

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 63 Bonneville

Hi all, as I said in my new member post I have a bunch of questions. I'll post them in this thread to keep everything together. The first one has to do with the carb, but some background first...

Purchased by my great grandfather, been in my family since then.
    Parked in the late 80's, early 90's.
    Was briefly worked on shortly after my grandfather brought it home. Mainly to get it running again for loading and unloading on the trailer. The carb install below will show you how much concern was put into it by a distant relative.
    100,000 miles on it. Auto tranny. 389.

It does start and run now, but only with effort. Requires gas pedal to the floor to start and the idle is set pretty high to keep it running. Vacuum hoses are a massive clusterfudge as you can see below. I do have what is thought to be the original AFB, with the tag being the first picture.

SO...onto the questions...
    1. I, unfortunately, don't have much experience with carbs. I've done some reading and feel like I can get it dialed in enough to get it movable. I'm going to get that Carter rebuilt and put it back on, but in the mean time I need to have this Edelbrock 1406 installed correctly. Why would someone run it like that and where should the vacuum lines actually go?

2. Do I need to/should I rebuild the motor, given it has 100,000? Also, will unleaded gas damage the valves/valve seats?
    Last edited by Vita; 07-17-14, 09:00 PM.
    63 Bonneville Vista
    389ci

Here's some better pictures as well as a picture of the car.

63 Bonneville Vista
    389ci

Comment

I'd try hooking the PCV valve up to the big port you have plugged in the front middle of the carb so you get vacuum thru the carb. Plug the 2 coming up out of the intake.

Another thing to check which you might want to check first is the carb base gasket. It might have a chevy gasket under it and has holes for exhaust gas to come up under carb for pre heat. Pontiac don't do that.

That new carb is just a remake of the Carter AFB/AVS
      '65 Goat

Comment

That is a great looking car. I had a 1406 at one time on my GTO. The big port that is plugged up in front is for the PCV. On either side of that are timed vacuum advance ports. One side is for emission vehicles, the other is for non-emission vehicles. I don't remember which is which. There is also a large vacuum port in the rear for power brakes. The little tee's and the smaller hoses go to all of the other little vacuum stuff under the dash. As for the engine, check the compression, change the fluids, belts, hoses, give it a good tune up and drive that sucka. And check the brakes too and put in fresh gas.
        Joey

If your Pontiac was like your report card, would you want an "A" or an "F"?

Comment

That rear line looks kinked. I would check for vacuum leaks on those lines for a start. Any ports not being used on the carb need to be capped

Sent from my nerdphone just to piss Gordy off

Comment

I used to just use a stick I found in the yard to plug small vacuum lines till I got one of them hand vacuum pumps. The core of twigs from a maple tree are porous and won't hold a vacuum. Golf tee works the best.
            '65 Goat

Comment

Sharp car.
              - Christopher - They call me Devil Beard

Hoarder of various 2nd gen Trans Ams and Firebirds/ 73-77

Comment

Originally posted by mrpontiac65 View Post
                I'd try hooking the PCV valve up to the big port you have plugged in the front middle of the carb so you get vacuum thru the carb. Plug the 2 coming up out of the intake.
                Thank you, I wasn't quite sure what to do with the two from the intake.
                63 Bonneville Vista
                389ci

Comment

Originally posted by runninwild View Post
                  That is a great looking car. I had a 1406 at one time on my GTO. The big port that is plugged up in front is for the PCV. On either side of that are timed vacuum advance ports. One side is for emission vehicles, the other is for non-emission vehicles. I don't remember which is which. There is also a large vacuum port in the rear for power brakes. The little tee's and the smaller hoses go to all of the other little vacuum stuff under the dash. As for the engine, check the compression, change the fluids, belts, hoses, give it a good tune up and drive that sucka. And check the brakes too and put in fresh gas.
                  The one on the left is for emission vehicles, which this is not, so I ran a new hose from the right one to the vacuum advance.

The good news is that it was given a tune up once it was brought back from Kansas, so it doesn't need too much. But I am finding gunk in the fuel filter so a new fuel system may be in order. Brakes are solid.

I also doubt that they put premium in it, so I plan on draining the current tank and putting premium in there.
                  63 Bonneville Vista
                  389ci

Comment

Originally posted by The Chief View Post
                    That rear line looks kinked. I would check for vacuum leaks on those lines for a start. Any ports not being used on the carb need to be capped

All the vacuum lines will be replaced. Thanks for the heads up!
                    63 Bonneville Vista
                    389ci

Comment

Quick update, fixed all the vacuum hoses and she started right up. I need to make some adjustestment on the carb but otherwise runs well.

Next question, how should I clean up the engine bay up? Degreaser and a hose? Toothbrush and elbow grease?
                      63 Bonneville Vista
                      389ci

Comment

Or steam cleaner. If you have a jet wash place you could hit that up just leave engine running and go nuts

Comment

If you have your own or access to a power washer, or even taking the car to the car wash, you can use that to knoock a lot of the crud off. you can try what Chief says and leave it running, or, take aluminum foil and wrap the carb and distributor cap area before you fire up the hoses. The foil will form tight and seal up the cap and carb while you wash. Pull off the foil and fire it up.
                          I'm the Rick in prick.

Comment

Don't do what I did once. I hauled my GTO to the car wash cause I was going to pull the engine and wanted to clean some before I started. Got to the car wash and pulled all 4 plug wires on the passengers side so I could really blast that side. When I got home and was unloading the car I thought I had got the distributor wet cause it sounded like a John Deere tractor. I backed it off the trailer and parked it then opened the hood. I forgot to put the 4 spark plug wires back on. I put them back on and it sounded a lot better.
                            '65 Goat

Comment

Thats our Don
                              I'm the Rick in prick.

Comment

Working...
                              X