New suspension and disc conversion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New suspension and disc conversion

I have a 72 lemans I'm running a 67 V8-400 in it right now...my suspension badly needs to be replaced and i have drums all the way around...does anyone have any suggestions for a upgraded suspension and disc brake conversion??

Two or three places at least that specialize in the disc conversions. I've used Master Power before with excellent results.

Suspension depends on what you're after. From stock type to limited street use. Look into places like Rock Auto, Energy Suspension, PSI (Performance Suspension), etc. Most of them carry stock to however big your checkbook can handle.

Tracy has done a lot to his A body and can share other sources that will make the car handle Waaaaay better than stock if your looking for something more than the factory set-up.
    I'm the Rick in prick.

Comment

Awesome, yes I am looking for something a little better than stock for the suspension...this may be a dumb question but who's Tracy? and how can i get a hold of them?

Comment

He posted diagrams of the front end for you in the other thread.
        '65 Goat

Comment

got it thanks!

Comment

And just so ya know. Tracy, T Dawg, Birthday boy, whatever he, err, we, are calling him, reads all these threads. So in the future, you may want to ask a question in just one thread, instead of the same question in multiple threads. Someone will read it, someone will respond. When members here see it posted in 4 or 5 places, they tend to get a bit annoyed. Pick a thread, post your question, have some patience, and it will be answered.
            I'm the Rick in prick.

Comment

LOL. I replayed to the other thread.

1972 LeMans W/Endura Front End & 461 CID

Comment

Ok brakes. As stated I like Wilwood and Baer. Baer is pretty expensive so I'll stick to Wilwood for this topic. Wilwood has a nice 4 piston kit (everything you need) that will bolt on to your drum spindles starting less then $700 (P# 140-10996) and go up from there. You will need to replace your master cylinder, but you can pick up a 1970 1" bore corvette master from any parts house for around $50 or less.

I'd leave the rears drum as you don't gain much for the trouble it's worth. Just rebuild them (springs and pads) and maybe have the drums turned. You will also need to change your proportioning valve to a disc/drum style, about $100

Suspension. I like hotchkis springs 1" drop all the way around. Note: I had to install Chevy big block springs in front for the ride height I wanted, but I also have deep pockets in my LCA

Sway bars will help with body roll. I like Hellwig hollow bars (P# 55706 & 55868) They can be had pretty cheap, less then $400

Shocks: Bilstein & KYB are ok and won't brake the bank

Finally front end, just rebuild it with Moog parts. Get everything you can, even the center link.

I wouldn't worry about front a-arms unless yours are screwed up. Rears are nice to have boxed in upper and lower as I have had them fail on me. Any boxed in ones will do. This set up will give you a nice driving and riding car and only set you back about $2000. These are just examples of stuff I like, there is lots of other stuff other there, made by lots of different people to meet all kinds of budgets. At least this gives you a starting point to work from. Check out Ames for sure, Summit, Jegs, Amazon and or course Ebay. Oh and Rock Auto (lol)

Have Fun

Comment

A few links for you. What ever brake system you go with keep in mind that you have drum spindles. Wilwood and Baer will work with those. Other systems you may have to change to a disc spindle which mean a jap spindle unless you can find a good pair od OEM. Ive never heard anything good about jap spindles. If you have a poor taper on the spindle it opens up the door for ballpoint failure. That's nothing to fool around with.

Front End http://www.ebay.com/itm/67-72-GM-A-F...-/400666346048

Springs http://www.summitracing.com/search/p...coil%20springs

Basic Kit sway bar/spring/shock kit http://scandc.com/new/node/766

Sway Bars http://www.spohn.net/shop/1968-1972-...rome-Moly.html

Brake Kit http://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/Bra...axle=Front+Kit

Comment

www.rockauto.com gives you a choice of different brands and prices for stuff. I got new AC Delco ball joints, tie-rod ends. Like Tracy said check out www.amesperf.com and I've bought stuff from www.opg.com also.
                    '65 Goat

Comment

Got it, thanks!

Comment

A man of few words lol

Comment

Working...
                        X