This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Stand Fabrication Guide

This guide is from a book I have. It is a How To on building your own Engine Stand. Not those cheap ass Autozone style engine stands either. I actually built one of these, and sold it for $150.00 a few years back. Haven't really had time to build anothers. This stand, if built correctly is extremely stable, and you can also substitute heavier stock than what is listed, which is what I did. You can also alter the design a bit as well. This is basically, just a guide, and it's fairly detailed.

You can download this PDF and print it out if you need to. It has been tested to print, and is very clear. The larger file size was done so it would be clear and easy to read. Enjoy!

Click Here to Download File

Must Have Adobe Acrobat Reader to view file!
    -Mike

This is not something you buy. It's Something you Build!

I have the same stand I bought from Harbor Freight. I would actually like the one with 4 wheels. Thanks for the guide. I am sure I could figure out how to alter it to make it 4 wheeled.

Comment

I wouldn't call it the same stand, as the materials used here are far better than anything you'll buy at harbor freight.
      -Mike

Comment

So your engine weighs more than 2,000 pounds then? I'd much rather spend a $100.
        2000 Lb. Foldable Engine Stand
        1971 Pontiac LeMans
        400ci, Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, 4.10 Gear, TCI converter, Holley carb, Rhoads lifters, roller rockers

PontiacMuscle.net

Comment

That's what you should do then. We understand around here that not everyone has the skills to build things. They would rather just build things with their check books. LOL!
          -Mike

Comment

LOL, I hate when people buy shit at the store with checks. It's usually old people that can't even see the check to fill it out!!
            "Kicking Ass In Texas Since 1982"

Comment

I can't see to fill out a check but thats OK because my wife always keeps the checkbook. LOL
              I'm the Rick in prick.

Comment

The DMV still takes either checks or cash here. They're still in the stone age as far as credit and debit transactions go, as they don't accept them. But what do you expect from a govt run agency. [pop corn]
                - Christopher - They call me Devil Beard

Hoarder of various 2nd gen Trans Ams and Firebirds/ 73-77

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. HARDCORE View Post
                  That's what you should do then. We understand around here that not everyone has the skills to build things. They would rather just build things with their check books. LOL!
                  My skills are more than adequate to build one of these but I sort of agree that unless you have some special needs, its probably worth the $100 to just go buy one. Just because you can build something doesn't mean that it makes sense to. I'm not exactly sure what the cost of materials would be for this project but even if you got them for free, there are tons of other things I could spend my time fixing on my car.

It's worth noting that I am only playing devils advocate here to defend the less popular opinion of the man who chooses his checkbook over his tool box. On a boring Sunday when I don't really feel like digging into the car, I sometimes fab things like this up just for the hell of it whether it makes sense economically or not.....in fact I think today is one of those days.

Thanks for the great "How To' article!

Comment

I will not use a HF engine stand even for a briggs , I had a Iorn duke on one and the head of the stand broke off at the neck as the welds which looked great had no penetration and it would have been stronger if it was brazed ... all my stands are 1200 pounders except my diesel stand which is rated for 8,000 pounds , I took all my bought stands and rewelded/gusseted them and pulled all the non graded bolts off and replaced them with Certified grade 5's , Hf will not cover damages from there stands failing . they will however give you a new one . I had to eat a forged crank and a oil pan .. that money I saved $200 cost me almost a grand . ( the hf stand I gave away to a chevy guy .. )

Comment

You can build a far better, far stronger stand for a lot less than that POS at Harbor Freight. It's just that simple. Why build? That's why.
                      -Mike

Comment

Working...
                      X