engine identification

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• engine identification

i have what i belive to be a pontiac 350 only numbers i found on it are on the front next to the water pump and that is 123439 with the letter code YJ under that then in the back next to the distributor hole is the number 1217 which makes no sense either cant seem to find any of these numbers on any of the pontiac lists ANY IDEAS ???????? A. J.

1217 could be Dec 1 1967, which would make it a 1968, 265 HP, manual transmission, 2 barrel carbed 350 that came with #17 heads.
    I'm the Rick in prick.

Comment

pretty damn fast there Pops specially for an old fart!
      Mac

69 Firebird

Comment

it has 6x heads on it

Comment

Originally posted by poncho1961 View Post
          1217 could be Dec 1 1967, which would make it a 1968, 265 HP, manual transmission, 2 barrel carbed 350 that came with #17 heads.
          That 1217 would actually be I 2 1 7 , which would be September 21, more than likely 1977 and probably cast for the '78 model year. In '78 the YJ was used on a 400, with 6X heads and a 4 bbl carburater.
          Bill
          wdcreech@earthlink.net
          1964 GTO, 606" IA, 8.2550 @ 164.17, all motor

Comment

Check out www.wallaceracing.com and do a search for YJ
            '65 Goat

Comment

Check the number that is cast onto the block between the dist. and the oilf filter housing along the belhousing mounting area.
              Attached Files
              '65 Goat

Comment

actually both pops and creech are correct depending on how ya look it up, pops input that yj with a 350 in mind and the 6x heads were used on the late model 400 also with a yj code. That older 350 was rated higher in HP and compression yet the late model 400 would be nice with a little work.
                Mac

69 Firebird

Comment

You could also check the lower left front side of the block If it's '71 or so and up it will be cast with engine size there.
                  Attached Files
                  '65 Goat

Comment

Originally posted by mrpontiac65 View Post
                    Check out www.wallaceracing.com and do a search for YJ
                    Good link

1972 LeMans W/Endura Front End & 461 CID

Comment

Working...
                    X