X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stumped on an Engine Code

Can anyone identify this?

YH

Guy claims it to be a 1970 455HO 4 bolt main. Only code I can find to match that description is 9799140. Took enough just to get him to scratch off this. Date code is not legible.
    Attached Files
    - Chris -
    We're in Canada now. What are they gunna do, kick us out? - Mac while in Michigan
    1959 Pontiac Custom Star Chief
    389ci w/ '60 SD Tri Power/200-4R/3.42 Limited Slip

Your attachments not working.
    - Christopher - They call me Devil Beard

Hoarder of various 2nd gen Trans Ams and Firebirds/ 73-77

Comment

It's plain as day. Doesn't look altered and no light stamp where a number could be mis-read. I'm stumped here.
      - Chris -
      We're in Canada now. What are they gunna do, kick us out? - Mac while in Michigan

Comment

Apparently it's working now.

Comment

i see the pic,i couldnt find anything either..yet.
          72 Luxury Lemans nicely equipped!

Comment

www.wallaceracing.com
            '65 Goat

Comment

That looks like a VIN stamping. Tell him you want the casting # from by the distributer hole in the back of the engine.

Comment

DBs right. Thats the VIN code above the YH stamping. Those numbers would have matched the serial number of the car in 70.
                I'm the Rick in prick.

Comment

Looking again, that could just be the engine number, with the VIN appearing further below. Some blocks had both numbers. One number matched the serial number of the car, and one number was the engine serial number persay. Most Pontiacs 67 and before just had the engine number with nothing to tie it to a specific vehicle. If this is a 70, it should have the vehicle VIN and possibly the engine number too. I'm not talking about the YH or anything like that, it was a separate number 6 or more digits long.
                  I'm the Rick in prick.

Comment

What I found is that this should be the casting number, not a VIN. And not interested in the VIN as we know it's not the original engine in the car. Just trying to verify whether or not it is a 455HO with 4 bolt mains. I guess we're just down to the date stamp in back now as it's the only way to determine if it's a 1970 or not.

From what I've gathered, the only YH manufactured in 1970 would have been the HO 4 bolt main. So that would be a fairly reasonable assumption if the date code matches up.
                    - Chris -

Comment

Originally posted by sinister76ta View Post
                      That looks like a VIN stamping. Tell him you want the casting # from by the distributer hole in the back of the engine.
                      He's got a pic, said he can't read it. I'll get him to email it to me and then post it up.
                      - Chris -

Comment

Originally posted by starchief1959 View Post
                        What I found is that this should be the casting number, not a VIN. And not interested in the VIN as we know it's not the original engine in the car. Just trying to verify whether or not it is a 455HO with 4 bolt mains. I guess we're just down to the date stamp in back now as it's the only way to determine if it's a 1970 or not.

From what I've gathered, the only YH manufactured in 1970 would have been the HO 4 bolt main. So that would be a fairly reasonable assumption if the date code matches up.
                        Casting numbers are just that, cast into the iron. They are raised letter of iron. The pic you posted is stamped. That would either be the consecutive engine unit number or the VIN number.

And remember, his casting number could be a 9 if its an early cast block for the 70 model year.
                        I'm the Rick in prick.

Comment

I thought the stamps on the front of the engine below the head mating surface were the engine code and the stamp down near the side of the timing cover was the VIN. Am I wrong?
                          - Chris -

Comment

Nope. You're are right OBEWON. Neither is considered a casting number tho. When I first posted I didn't pay much attention and just said it looked like a VIN number, but then looking at it a second time, I corrected myself and said it could be the engine number, not the VIN. But in either case, its still not a casting number. That would be on the side of the block, with the date code cast near the distributor. So you'll really need that date code, and to confirm, the number from the side of the block also. 2 casting numbers.

By the way, I have a 72 455 at home thats also a YH stamped block. YH was used multiple times.
                            1969 428 automatic.
                            1970 455 automatic
                            1972 455 automatic
                            1975 400 automatic
                            and if your real lucky, 1977 301.

The first three choices in that list should be drilled and tapped for 4 bolt mains, but didn't necessarily have 4 bolt caps installed. If you bought the block and wanted 4 bolt caps, there are a few places selling them. It would require an align hone after installing them tho.
                            I'm the Rick in prick.

Comment

Cool, thanks pops.

Still waiting on him to email me the date code pic though.
                              - Chris -

Comment

Working...
                              X