Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1977 Firebird/Trans Am Codes!

1977 PONTIAC FIREBIRD/TRANS AM CODE IDENTIFICATIONS

Here are the Code Identifications for the 1977 Pontiac Firebird/Trans Ams.
    A special thanks to the February 1995 issue of High Performance Pontiac Magazine for being a great resource for these codes.

VIN CODES

Here's an example VIN. These will be on your title, and on the dashboard on the driver's side, visible through the windshield.

Example VIN: 2W87Z7N100001

2 - Pontiac
    W - Trans Am (U-Formula, S-base Firebird, T-Esprit)
    87 - Hardtop coupe
    Z - 400 (C-231, Y-301, U-350 Chevy, P-350, R-350 Olds, K-403)
    7 - Last digit of the model year
    N - Assembly plant: N-Norwood
    100001 - Consecutive Sequence Number

COWL DATA PLATES

The Cowl Data Plate can be found on the 77 Firebird/Trans Am on top of the cowl just in front of the windshield on the driver's side. Here is an example of that data plate.

Line 1: BODY BY FISHER
    Line 2: ST 77 2FS87 N 123456 BDY
    Line 3: TR 19N A51 11L 11U PNT
    Line 4: 09E A31 WS4 BLK
    Line 5: 240821
    Line 6: GENERAL MOTORS CORPORATION

Explanations of each line:
    Line 1: Pretty self explanatory.

Line 2: The last two digits of the model year (77) followed by the style number (2ES87 base model). Code "N" denotes the Norwood, Ohio assembly plant. The rest of the number I have no idea of. Sorry.

Line 3: This indicates the interior trim (TR) code (19N) in this car: black deluxe seats. A51 is the modular seat location code, followed by the body color code (11L 11U), Cameo White. The L and U designate the lower and upper body. This is in case the car was ordered with a cordova top. These codes will be deciphered individually later.

Line 4: This is the date code for when the body was assembled. 09 represents the month (September), and "E" represents the week. The 5th week of November (1976). The A#! code is unknown. The WS4 code denotes Trans Am. A Formula would be "W66." The final code, (BLK) is the console and dash color.

Line 5: No idea folks!?!

Line 6: Self-explanatory.
    -Mike

This is not something you buy. It's Something you Build!

ENGINE BLOCK CODES

I'm only listing Pontiac codes here, because that's all I care about. These codes can be found stamped on the front passenger side of the block, below the cylinder deck. The last 8 digits of the VIN can be found adjacent to the timing cover on the passenger side of the block. This will tell you if your engine is original or not.

Cu. In. .......Code ........Carb ......Net HP .......Trans
    301 .............WB ..........2-bbl ......135 ...........Manual
    301 ............YH, YK ......2-bbl ......135 ...........Auto
    350 .............Y9 ...........4-bbl .....170 ...........Auto
    400 .............XA ...........4-bbl .....180 ...........Auto
    400 .............WA ..........4-bbl ..... 200 ..........Manual
    400 ..............Y6 ..........4-bbl ......200 ..........Auto
    -Mike

Comment

CYLINDER HEAD CASTING CODES

These are Pontiac Cylinder Head casting code, and can be found easily on the center exhaust ports. There are many other codes for Pontiac heads, but these are what was available in 1977.

Cu. In. .......Net HP .........Casting #
      301 ...........135 ...............01
      350 ...........170 ...............6X
      400 ...........180 ...............6X
      -Mike

Comment

EXTERIOR COLOR CODES

These codes can be found on Line 3 of your Cowl Data Plate. They are usually followed by an "L" or "U", which describes Lower and Upper body color. Most are the same number, unless you have a vinyl top. Example: Line 3: TR 19N A51 19L 19U PNT - So "19L 19U," which is a Black car. Line 3: TR 19N A51 11L 61T PNT - So "11L 61T" would mean that the lower body is Cameo White and the Vinyl Top is Buckskin.

Color ....... Fisher Code
        Cameo White - 11
        Bahia Green - 44
        Sterling Silver - 13
        Goldenrod Yellow - 51
        Starlight Black - 19
        Mojave Tan -61
        Glacier Blue -22
        Buckskin Metallic - 63
        Nautilus Blue - 29
        Brentwood Brown - 69
        Firethorn red - 36
        Buccaneer Red - 75
        Aquamarine - 38
        Mandarin Orange - 78
        -Mike

Comment

INTERIOR COLOR CODES

These codes can be found in Line 3 of you Cowl Data Plate. The number 1 at the end of the code may not be there. Example: Line 3: TR 19N A51 19L 19U PNT - So "19N" would designate Black Custom Bucket Seats.

Color ........Std. Bucket .......Custom Bucket ........Velour
          White ........... 11R1 .............. 11N1 ......................N/A
          Black ............ 19R1 .............. 19N1 ..................... 19B1
          Blue .............. N/A ............... 24N1 ..................... 24B1
          Buckskin ........ 64R1 .............. 64N1 ..................... N/A
          Firethorn ....... 71R1 .............. 71N1 ..................... 17B1
          -Mike

Comment

strange bird

my birds vin shows an r for the engine code but under the hood i had a 403 and all the diagrams under the hood show 403 whats up with this did the factory run out of 350s or is my bird mutated by the way shes a 77 base ass in norwood ohio ???
            Last edited by dmansbird; 06-11-10, 01:27 PM. Reason: didnt give enough info

Comment

It was either transplanted to an Olds 403 and the little details changed to match or you always had an Olds 350 and didn't know.
              - Chris -
              We're in Canada now. What are they gunna do, kick us out? - Mac while in Michigan
              1959 Pontiac Custom Star Chief
              389ci w/ '60 SD Tri Power/200-4R/3.42 Limited Slip

Comment

no 350 i took out the 403 and put a 350 rocket out of my 68 olds cutless my dad got the bird in 80

Comment

Then someone put it in there previous to your dad owning it.
                  - Chris -
                  We're in Canada now. What are they gunna do, kick us out? - Mac while in Michigan

Comment

I think some Cali bound birds may have gotten the 403 instead of the 400 for smog purposes. Very likely the engine is original to the car. Cali models also got 305 and 350 Chebbies as options too I think.
                    I'm the Rick in prick.

Comment

Then why would it have an "R" as the engine code pops?
                      - Chris -

Comment

I pulled a MA and didn't read everything. LOL Thats why. LOL

How about this for an idea. Engine may have been a service replacement warranty thingy and the dealer swapped in an available 403 and all the documentation underhood.
                        I'm the Rick in prick.

Comment

I have a 403 Olds engine in my 79 TA, I know MR. H doesn't care LOL, but I wanted to know where on the block I could find the VIN number. Currently, I do not have the engine so thats why I was asking b/c I want to check the engine VIN when I get it back!
                          Waiting to get my 79 TA with a 403 Olds back on the road!!

Comment

A lot of us would prefer that you replace that Olds motor with a Pontiac one, but hey it's your car man. [pop corn]
                            - Christopher - They call me Devil Beard

Hoarder of various 2nd gen Trans Ams and Firebirds/ 73-77

Comment

Originally posted by sinister76ta View Post
                              A lot of us would prefer that you replace that Olds motor with a Pontiac one, but hey it's your car man. [pop corn]
                              I never really thought about replacing the Olds engine but was looking to keep it a numbers matching car in case of selling in the future.. Honestly, the more I think about it, I have no intention of getting rid of the car so it may honestly be an option to put a Pontiac motor in it!!
                              Waiting to get my 79 TA with a 403 Olds back on the road!!

Comment

Working...
                              X