1978 Firebird instrument cluster

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1978 Firebird instrument cluster

I have a 78 Firebird with standard (idiot) lights gauges and I was curious to how much work it would be to convert it over to a Trans Am rallt style gauges. Would I have to replace the dash wiring harness? Or is there a way to do it without extreme work?

compare the 2 different wiring diagrams,see what they share and what is diff,likley need gauge sending units.on my car the diff was just moving wire locations within harness.good luck
    72 Luxury Lemans nicely equipped!

Comment

By looking at instrument cluster there are more connections at the connector than the one with the tach. Can the wires be moved on the connector to make it work?

Comment

yes they can, there is a small tab that locks the wires into the connectors, these can be aligned to work for a different application if you have the diagram.
        There is a video on electrical in the video section and you can see it being done!
        "A quick car is easy to define 0-100-0 in 10.0" Carroll Shelby
        sigpic
        1969 GTO Judge, 1972 LeMans Sport GT Convertible

Comment

Is there a section here where I could get both wiring diagrams?

Comment

I'm sure Mike will chime in here on the 78 he has one and knows them intimately, till then I found this...follow the thread for more...
            http://hardcorepontiacs.com/forum/63749-post21.html
            "A quick car is easy to define 0-100-0 in 10.0" Carroll Shelby
            sigpic
            1969 GTO Judge, 1972 LeMans Sport GT Convertible

Comment

That would be great. Trying to google the connectors and the wires is coming up empty. This site is great!

Comment

I just pulled the harness out of a 77 T/A and put it in my 77 Esprit. It's not that hard of a swap, even easier if you don't have air conditioning. I used the dash and engine wiring from the T/A, the headlight and tailight harnesses don't matter. The tach will actually be on it's own circut, coming from the distributer, going to the fuse box, and then to the back of the tach itself.
                - Christopher - They call me Devil Beard

Hoarder of various 2nd gen Trans Ams and Firebirds/ 73-77

Comment

I need the wiring diagram for a 78 with rally gauges, I am having trouble installing dash from a 1980
                  78 Trans AM 4 speed
                  86 Firebird
                  08 G5 2door

Comment

Here is a wiring diagram for a 80.
                    sigpic

Comment

thx Bandit, between this and the factory manual I have most of it figured out, still trying to identify pink wire that is switched on and off with ignition and pink wire with white stripe that seems to be dead when I test with my test light.
                      78 Trans AM 4 speed
                      86 Firebird
                      08 G5 2door

Comment

I managed to get the gauges out of the 80 working but after using them for 3 years I got an entire cluster for a 78. When I wanted to go back to stock wiring I had to figure it all out again. I just thought I'd update this post in case anyone needs pinout for a 78 IP wire harness with rally gauges in the future.

IP wires in the 78 starting at top outside are:
                        Blue=oil sender, Light Green=high beams, Dark Blue=Right Dir Ind, Pink-12V+ switched ignition, Tan=Brake Warning, Pink /White stripe=seatbelt telltale, Black=ground, Grey=Ilumination.

Starting at top inside:
                        Black=ground, empty, empty, empty, Dark Green=temp sender, Light Blue=Left Dir Ind, Orange/Black stripe=12v+ unswitched clock, empty.
                        78 Trans AM 4 speed
                        86 Firebird
                        08 G5 2door

Comment

Hoping somebody can help me with this I had a 77 base Firebird with Oil ,Water,Amp lights.
                          I did swap the Trans Am Rally gauges. I did seem to get everything working so I had thought but I have one issue when I start the car by dash lights are on all the time. But the bigger problem is when I drive the car at night and the light switch is on when you turn the ignition off to shut the car off car continues to run. Until you turn the headlights off. Any idea what I could've crossed in the wiring. Could there be a problem with the circuitboard The back of the gauge cluster. The only thing that I did was swap wires and the different places is in the diagram on the white cluster connector. I did use the orange ignition wire for the volt gauge. Please any ideas would be appreciated
                          Thank you in advance

J

Comment

I would suspect you have a grey dash light wire feeding back into your pink switched power somewhere on the cluster. Double check pin-out for the rally cluster.
                            78 Trans AM 4 speed
                            86 Firebird
                            08 G5 2door

Comment

I think this is correct http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/...psf36efc58.jpg
                              78 Trans AM 4 speed
                              86 Firebird
                              08 G5 2door

Comment

Working...
                              X