Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes and Wheels

Hi,

So I started in on my new project and found a set of rally II's 15" code JJ 4 3/4" pattern come to find out my pattern is 4 1/2". Was looking on EBay at a Right Stuff disc brake conversion kit and the pattern on those is 4 3/4". That's fine problem solved till I get to the rear. Am I missing something obvious here? Any suggestions and recommendations on conversion kits are much appreciated.

Dan
    Captain Dan

'67 LeMans Convertible

What are you working on?

1972 LeMans W/Endura Front End & 461 CID

Comment

I wanted to covert to disc brakes while redoing the front end and go to 15 inch wheels. I am pretty much working on everything, it took three loads to get the car home, it is disassembled.
      Captain Dan

'67 LeMans Convertible

Comment

You can swap out the rear axles to a 5x4.75 pattern on the rear.

Comment

Originally posted by GratefulDiver View Post
          You can swap out the rear axles to a 5x4.75 pattern on the rear.
          I was afraid of that, not the end of the world I guess.
          Captain Dan

'67 LeMans Convertible

Comment

Not sure why a 67 would have that pattern. What rear does it have?

Comment

The rear are also 3 1/2". Would that be stock? Maybe I have a rare and priceless car. LOL
              Captain Dan

'67 LeMans Convertible

Comment

Stock GTO/Lemans/Tempest is 4 3/4 bolt pattern.
                '65 Goat

Comment

Originally posted by GratefulDiver View Post
                  Not sure why a 67 would have that pattern. What rear does it have?
                  I will look at this when I get home.
                  Captain Dan

'67 LeMans Convertible

Comment

Does it have a Ford rearend under it?
                    '65 Goat

Comment

Originally posted by 1captdan View Post
                      Hi,

So I started in on my new project and found a set of rally II's 15" code JJ 4 3/4" pattern come to find out my pattern is 4 1/2". Was looking on EBay at a Right Stuff disc brake conversion kit and the pattern on those is 4 3/4". That's fine problem solved till I get to the rear. Am I missing something obvious here? Any suggestions and recommendations on conversion kits are much appreciated.

Dan
                      Originally posted by 1captdan View Post
                      The rear are also 3 1/2". Would that be stock? Maybe I have a rare and priceless car. LOL
                      Ok, you've got 3 different sizes listed here and I'm completely confused. (I started that way, but don't tell anyone).

Are you talking bolt centerline? 67 was using a 4 3/4 bolt pattern then. As Don mentioned the ford rear already, they (ford) used some 4 1/2" patterns, but how the hell that would change your front pattern................
                      You're not talking back spacing are you?

If you're not talking backspacing and you ARE talking bolt centerline, how are you measuring your existing pattern? Are you sure its not 4 3/4 and some operator error? LOL On a 5 lug wheel, you measure from the center of one hole, skip a hole, and use the outer diameter of the third hole for the measurement. Not center to center of first and third holes. If you went center to center of first and third holes, that would explain why you're 1/4 inch off.
                      I'm the Rick in prick.

Comment

Hi Rick,

Sorry for the confusion, I have 4 1/2" bolt pattern all the way around, the 3 1/2" is a typo. I am going to convert to disc brakes in the front and that will allow for the 15" wheels in the front with the 4 3/4" typical pattern, for the rears it looks like axles swaps or a rear end swap.
                        I sure would like to know how there came to be a 4 1/2" bolt pattern on this car and where else they used rally II with the smaller pattern.

Thanks,

Dan
                        Captain Dan

'67 LeMans Convertible

Comment

To my knowledge there were only two Ralley II wheel bolt sizes. 4 3/4" and 5". The 4 3/4 were used on almost everything, the 5" were on some of the big cars like the Bonney or Cat. The Ralley IIs didn't come out until 67, so I know it wasn't a pattern for something really old.

Did you see in my post about where/how you measure bolt patterns. Again, if you're measuring between bolts 1 & 3 and you're measuring from center to center of the bolt holes, you HAVE to add 1/4 inch to that dimension to get the proper diameter. The correct way is to measure from center of one hole to far outer edge of the third hole. That dimension will then include the 1/4" you would have to have added if you went center to center.
                          Attached Files
                          I'm the Rick in prick.

Comment

Hi Rick,

Thank you for the reply, I need to look at this again to be sure I know what the hell I am talking about. Just my luck I found the one and only freak.

Dan
                            Captain Dan

'67 LeMans Convertible

Comment

I say you've been measuring wrong the whole time. In fact I would have never measured it to begin with. I would have just installed the rally wheels lol

Comment

Working...
                              X